Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Food with Tea-Whole Wheat Banana Olive Oil Cake (tea cake recipe)












I had a potluck Lunch with my non-profit org team to celebrate Christmas yesterday!! I brought this Whole Wheat Banana Olive Oil Cake as a dessert and....it was the star of the whole event!!!!

I "borrow" this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. The original recipe was "Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake". I do not have any Blood Orang at hands, except bananas.


I probably have super sensitive taste buds because I always feel all cakes I had are way too sweet for me. Do you feel the same way? When I made the first Banana cake, I completely forgot about stevia (I do not use sugar unless necessary). I thought the cake might taste very plain. Surprisingly, it's just PER-FEC-TEA!! yes!! Banana itself brings enough sweet tastes to the cake. With the honey Banana toppings, the cake has the perfect sweetness for a healthy afternoon tea!!

Benefits:

  • no sugar and stevia added!! This should be an extra credit for this recipe. Tell me have you ever tried any cake without sugar or stevia added?;)) I never had any!
  • Extremely easy to make!!
  • very clow cholestrol: I always choose not to use egg yolk because it has too much cholestrol. I believe my reguar meal contains plenty cholestrol for my daily consumption already. This is my food balance philosophy. Have you heard of "Everything in moderation". Yeah, that' me! If it happens you need cholestrol, use whole egg, instead of egg white.
  • Low Low Low calories-the estimated calories for the whole cake is roughly 1800 (9x5 inches) calories. It's about 9-12 servings, which means 150-200 calories per serving!! I remember I went to NYC one day and stopped over one bakery. One single cupcake (and small!!!) was labeled 1400 calories!! Tell me about it!
Tea Pairing: Green tea, Herbal tea.

Here are some bread recipes you might like:
Pumpkin bread (stevia recipe)
Whole wheat Gingerbread (Stevia recipe)
Whole Wheat Banana Yogurt Bread


Ingredients A
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp Stevia (optional)
1/4 cup Pecan (uncooked, optional)

Ingredient B:
3/4 cup Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
3 ripe bananas
3 egg white
4 tbsp olive oil
Topping: (optional, 3 servings)
3 ripe bananas (1 banana/person)
Honey

Instructions:
Prepare the Cake:
1. Preheat the over to 375F. Spray some olive oil to the loaf pan and spread some flour.
2. Mix the ingredients A
3. Use hand to smash teh bananas then add Plain Greek Yogurt, egg white, olive oil together. I use Hand blender to blend all ingredients B until smooth.
4. Mix ingredients A and B evenly then pour into the greased loaf pan, 9x5 inches
5 Bake for about 50 minutes or until the toothstick comes out clean.
6. Place some cooked banana slices on top of the cake and drizzle some honey.
Prepare topping:
1. Slice banana in roughly 1/4 inch thick pieces
2. Heat the fry pan and spray some olive oil. Add banana slices and cook until the bottom becomes gold. Banana is very easy to cook. avoid overcooking it as it will melt quickly.












What's your favorite cake recipe for Christmas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey Susan!! Thank you so much for "stopping by" and your kind words1!!

Yes, please visit me often!;))) some recipes might potentially good for ya;))

Thanks.
Jane

Follow this blog with Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...